Tuesday, February 8, 2011

The Bounty Hunting System

As you all know the Bounty Hunting System is not used as intended.  I have seen many ideas on how to fix this.  I'm not quite sure how effective they would be, but after thinking on it for a while I came up with this idea.

First off lets take a look on why the system fails its purpose.  If someone were to place a bounty on my head, well that's just great. Let me find a friend to kill me and we can split the payout.  That is the root of the problem, the one with the bounty wants to be killed.

Here is my solution to that problem. We have to make it so that you do not want to be killed when you have a bounty on your head.   This can be achieved through penalties upon your corpse being turned in. A couple thoughts I've had would be to have Concord disable your implants preventing them from functioning for 30 or 60 days. Or reduce your attributes by one or two points across the board temporally for 60 days.  Maybe even just limit it to one implant slot for 30 days per each corpse turn in to prevent to much griefing.  You can refine it in many ways but I think this is a step in the right direction.

This way you make it annoying to the point where I don't want to pod myself for any amount of money, without really making any game breaking changes.  You wont get alliances placing bounties on every enemy alliance member in order to compete.  It goes along with tech 3 penalties. I know when I'm about to lose a tech 3 ship as long as I eject I can breathe a sigh of relief. Isk comes and goes but whats really valuable to players are skills.  Forgetting to update a clone is devestating, but losing a pile of isk happens to us all.

One other deterrent for alliances to go at it with the bounty system would be to introduce a couple of skills with the primary attribute being charisma of course.  You could have the first tier of skill provide a 1% bonus to the payout per level (5% not a huge isk faucet), and the second tier skill actually allow bounty collections. Each level providing 1 extra turn in per month and unlimited at level 5.  Anyone without the collection or liscense skill couldn't turn a corpse into the Bounty Office.

Leave a comment below and let me know your thoughts or complaints.

No comments:

Post a Comment